![]() |
| Cover of Looks by Madeleine George |
The main similarity I found is that both girls try to make their selves smaller, and not only physically (although they do), but mentally too. In school, both girls try to hide themselves. For Meghan, hiding is a matter because she is bullied badly, so she hides to find a safe and comfortable zone where she can just be her. I think this is because overall Meghan needs an escape, and that relates the story back to Aimee. Aimee mentions throughout the entire story that she needs an escape from not eating, and although I'm not exactly sure how because I've never been in that position, I can understand how having an escape might be necessary. They both need escapes from the ton of kids at school, and I see how that may end up causing stress on a person. Sometimes, I get nervous before tests or drama performances or interviews or even essays. A thing you can do is to take a break from stressing over what you are nervous of and instead have a relative escape. Things I like to do are read, run, play soccer or even just go on walks or be with my friends, simple activities, otherwise that anxiety can build up and overrule someone. I think that's how Aimee and Meghan both feel, how they both need an escape and something they can do but they just can't find one. Because of this, they both try to make themselves invisible and not noticeable, but end up feeling ignored and sad. This is a cycle they're both going around, just in different ways.
Although I notice similarities, I also noticed a few subtle differences. Throughout the plot I've noticed Meghan has tried to take everything in and in someway tries to get everyone to like her and be her friend. She tries hard to make everyone like and appreciate her. I noticed Aimee has a very different attempt on high school. Instead of trying to make everyone like her or try hard to make friends, Aimee pushes people away and they end up trying harder to be her friend. The first year at camp, when trying to make friends, many people tried to push others away because of many different reasons. Others tried harder to make pals so that they wouldn't have to be alone. I admit I was one to kind of let people come to me instead of being the outgoing one in the situation, but that may have just been because I was shy. This reminded me of the way Aimee lets people come to her, and Meghan tries harder to befriend many.

Eve this was so amazing! I loved your thought about finding similarities in these characters, because the differences are obvious. I think people judge a lot on appearance and weight, and they don't realize that everyone is a person. Obviously there are differences in these characters, but I thought it was really interesting how you looked closely and found similarities between these two characters. Great job!! <3 pia
ReplyDeleteOmg Eve, this was so good! You really demonstrated an understanding of the book you were reading, and you made me really want to read this book. The girls sound like very interesting kids, and you did a really good job with explaining their characters, but throughout the whole response. We learned a new thing about them every paragraph. Really good job!
ReplyDelete-SARAH
Eve this was so good! I could tell you were really thinking deep about the book. You made me want to read the book. :) I love how you took two different characters and found way to compare them. You also had a really good extension!! Great job! <3
ReplyDelete-Sydney
Wow, I read this book last year or maybe two years ago, but reading this helped me understand the book better! I never noticed those similarities, not very much at least. I knew that they both needed a friend, and that they both had problems with their "looks". You really made a good analysis about each of the characters that made me think more deeply about them. Great job!
ReplyDelete-Haydon